Since debuting in 2015, Twice has grown to become one of the best-selling K-pop girl groups of all time.
From their recent award at the Billboard Women in Music Awards to their chart-topping albums, extended play, and single releases, the group has consistently succeeded throughout its career. On March 10, Twice will release their long-awaited mini-album Ready to Be.
With over 27 million followers on Instagram, 11.4 million followers on Twitter, and 11 million monthly listeners on Spotify, Twice is among the most well-known groups to emerge from the South Korean music scene. But for some, this article may be their first introduction.
Here’s everything you need to know about K-pop group TWICE, significantly ahead of the release of their new album this Friday and their upcoming world tour.
Who is Twice?
Twice is a nine-member K-pop girl group under JYP Entertainment. The group was initially formed at the 2015 competition show Sixteen.
The group consisting of Nayeon, Jeongyeon, Momo, Sana, Jihyo, Mina, Dahyun, Chaeyoung, and Tzuyu debuted in 2015 with the song “Like OOH-AHH.” nearly 6 billion streams on Spotify, making them one of the best-selling K-pop girl groups of all time.
How many members are in Twice?
There are nine members:
- Nayeon (Full name: Im Na-yeon). Born Sept. 22, 1995, in Seoul, South Korea. Vocalist, dancer.
- Jeongyeon (Full name: Yoo Jeong-yeon). Born Nov. 1, 1996 in Suwon, Gyeonggi, South Korea. Vocalist.
- Momo (Full name: Hirai Momo). Born Nov. 9, 1996 in Kyōtanabe, Japan. Dancer, vocalist, rapper.
- Sana (Full name: Minatozaki Sana). Born Dec. 29, 1996 in Tennōji-ku, Osaka, Japan. Vocalist.
- Jihyo (Full name: Park Ji-hyo). Born Feb. 1, 1997 in Guri, Gyeonggi, South Korea. Leader, vocalist.
- Mina (Full name: Mina Myoi). Born March 24, 1997, in San Antonio, Texas. Dancer, vocalist.
- Dahyun (Full name: Kim Da-hyun). Born May 28, 1998 in Seongnam, Gyeonggi, South Korea. Rapper vocalist.
- Chaeyoung (Full name: Son Chae-young). Born April 23, 1999, in Seoul, South Korea. Rapper, vocalist.
- Tzuyu (Full name: Chou Tzu-yu). Born June 14, 1999 in Tainan, Taiwan. Dancer, vocalist.
Why are they called Twice?
The name Twice was coined by JYP Entertainment founder J.Y. Park. In 2015, Park revealed the name of the girl group she plans to form on the competition show Sixteen.
He said the group would be called Twice because “they could touch people twice, once through the ears and once through the eyes.
What are Twice fans called?
Twice’s fandom name is “Once.” This name was given to fans by the members in 2015. They posted the reason on Instagram: “If you love us just once, we will repay you with love twice.”
Twice’s 5th world tour kicks off soon.
In February, the band announced their fifth world tour, with stops worldwide, including the United States. It started on April 15 at the KSPO Dome in Seoul, South Korea.
With this tour, Twice became the first female K-pop group to perform at MLB and NFL stadiums in the United States.
For the 2023 tour, Twice will visit several cities in the United States, including:
- SoFi Stadium, Los Angeles (Saturday, June 10)
- Oakland Arena, Oakland (Tuesday, June 13)
- Tacoma Dome, Seattle (Friday, June 16)
- Globe Life Field, Dallas (Wednesday, June 21)
- Toyota Center, Houston (Saturday, June 24)
- United Center, Chicago (Wednesday, June 28)
- MetLife Stadium, East Rutherford (Thursday, July 6)
- Truist Park, Atlanta (Sunday, July 9)
Tickets for the tour can be purchased through Ticketmaster. Fans can sign up for the Ticketmaster Verified Fan platform to potentially receive an access code for Verified Fan sales.
Registration closes Sunday, March 19th, at 10:00 PM EST. The sale for confirmed fans will take place on Wednesday, March 22, at 15:00. Local time.