Profits from staking and lending no longer have to be held for ten years in Germany in order to be sold tax-free.
- The Treasury is scrapping the hold period extension for cryptocurrency gains made through staking or lending.
- The Federal Ministry of Finance announced the decision as part of the FDP’s first blockchain roundtable. The final draft for a tax law for cryptocurrencies will not include the extension of the holding period, it says.
- With staking and lending, you lock your cryptocurrencies in a network for a period of time and receive rewards, such as new coins.
- Previously, such profits had to be held for ten years in order to be sold tax-free.
- In contrast, purchased cryptocurrencies only have a one-year holding period .
- The basis for this extension was Section 23 Paragraph 1 Sentence 1 No. 2 Sentence 4 EStG. In the wording it said: “In the case of economic goods within the meaning of sentence 1, from the use of which as a source of income, income is generated at least in one calendar year, the period increases to ten years.”
You want to buy Shiba Inu (SHIB)?This is possible via eToro, among other things. eToro offers investors, from beginners to experts, a comprehensive crypto trading experience on a powerful yet easy-to-use platform.