“Santa Clarita Diet” is a delightful and quirky horror-comedy series that premiered on Netflix in 2017. Created by Victor Fresco, the show takes a fresh and comedic approach to the zombie genre, delivering an entertaining and addictive viewing experience.
Official SANTA CLARITA DIET Trailer (2017)
- Creator: Victor Fresco
- Starring: Drew Barrymore, Timothy Olyphant, Liv Hewson, Skyler Gisondo
- TV Network: Netflix (How to Watch Santa Clarita Diet Free)
- Premiere Date: Feb 3, 2017
- Genre: Comedy
- Executive producers: Victor Fresco, Drew Barrymore, Timothy Olyphant, Aaron Kaplan, Tracy Katsky, Chris Miller, Ember Truesdell
The series follows the lives of Sheila (Drew Barrymore) and Joel Hammond (Timothy Olyphant), a happily married couple residing in the idyllic suburban town of Santa Clarita, California. Their lives take a bizarre turn when Sheila undergoes a mysterious transformation and becomes a flesh-eating zombie with a ravenous appetite.
As Sheila struggles to adapt to her new dietary needs, Joel and their daughter Abby (Liv Hewson) strive to maintain a sense of normalcy while navigating the challenges of hiding Sheila’s condition from their friends and neighbors. Together, they embark on a journey to find a cure and uncover the origin of Sheila’s zombification, leading to a series of hilarious and often gruesome misadventures.
Cast, Producers, and Directors:
“Drew Barrymore” shines as Sheila Hammond, bringing her signature charm and comedic talent to the role. “Timothy Olyphant” delivers a standout performance as Joel Hammond, showcasing his versatility as he balances comedy and vulnerability with ease. The chemistry between Barrymore and Olyphant is palpable, elevating the dynamic between their characters.
The series is produced by Victor Fresco, Tracy Katsky, Drew Barrymore, Timothy Olyphant, Aaron Kaplan, Chris Miller, and Ember Truesdell. Victor Fresco also serves as the creator and showrunner of the series. The directors include Victor Fresco, Ruben Fleischer, and Marc Buckland, among others, who bring their unique styles and comedic sensibilities to the episodes.
Location of Shooting:
“Santa Clarita Diet” is set in the fictional town of Santa Clarita, California. While the series takes place in Santa Clarita, the actual filming occurred in and around Los Angeles, California. The show beautifully captures the essence of suburban life, portraying the town as both charming and filled with unexpected surprises.
- Genre-Bending Humor: “Santa Clarita Diet” successfully blends horror and comedy, creating a unique and refreshing take on the zombie genre. The witty writing and clever humor keep the audience engaged, striking a perfect balance between laugh-out-loud moments and genuinely suspenseful scenes.
- Strong Family Dynamics: Amidst the supernatural chaos, the heart of the show lies in the Hammond family’s unwavering love and support for one another. The series explores the resilience of familial bonds, as the family confronts the challenges of Sheila’s condition together, showcasing themes of loyalty, sacrifice, and unconditional love.
- Suburban Satire: The show cleverly satirizes the facade of suburban life, unmasking the hidden desires and dark secrets that lie beneath the surface. It offers a tongue-in-cheek critique of societal norms and conventions, challenging the notion of an ideal suburban existence.
- “So Then a Bat or a Monkey” – Sheila becomes a zombie, leading to Joel and Abby’s struggle to find a cure and adjust to their new reality.
- “We Can Kill People” – Joel and Sheila decide to fulfill her cravings by targeting individuals who deserve it, but their plan quickly spirals out of control.
- “We Can’t Kill People!” – The Hammonds realize the difficulties of finding a steady food source and explore alternatives to satisfy Sheila’s hunger.
- “The Farting Sex Tourist” – The Hammonds face challenges from a troublesome neighbor who threatens to expose their secret.
- “Man Eat Man” – Abby grows suspicious of her mother’s unusual behavior, leading to a confrontation and the revelation of Sheila’s true nature.
- “Attention to Detail” – The family finds themselves entangled in a murder investigation while trying to cover up their activities.
- “Strange or Just Inconsiderate?” – Sheila’s deteriorating condition raises concerns for the family, prompting them to take extreme measures to keep her satisfied.
- “How Much Vomit?” – The Hammonds encounter a setback in their search for a cure when they come across a potential lead.
“Santa Clarita Diet” is a must-watch for those seeking a unique blend of comedy and horror. With its talented cast, clever writing, and engaging plot, the series offers a fresh take on the zombie genre while delivering laughs and thrills in equal measure.
Santa Clarita Diet (2017 – 2019) Rotten Tomatoes Rating:
AVERAGE TOMATOMETER: 89% | AVERAGE AUDIENCE SCORE: 93%
Why was the Santa Clarita Diet canceled?
Why Was Santa Clarita Diet Canceled? Santa Clarita Diet’s cancellation was attributed by Deadline to Netflix’s “cost-plus” budget model. The company pays for a show’s production costs upfront, in addition to a premium of 30% or more of the complete overall costs. That number gets bigger with each season.( Updated on 15-Apr-2023)
Does Santa Clarita Diet have an ending?
As the horror comedy’s finale “The Cult Of Sheila” comes to a close, the Hammond family’s life finally appears to settle down. No more Serbian labs, no more Sheila Hammond (Drew Barrymore) stuck on the edge of a massive spike.
How did Sheila get infected?
Season 1. She was a normal housewife until she went to a restaurant and ordered the Serbian-imported clam special and got severe food-poisoning that turned her into a zombie, growing increasingly feral and less human.